There are about a million lyric sites that are reasonably good out there. These are links of more general interest.
- Perry Rose. A great singer and an equally great melody writer. Perry is an Irishman living in Brussels, whose family’s roots have circus folk on both sides. Site in English and French.
- Marka. Once a roadie in a band I sang in! Since then, he has become a regular fixture on the French live scene and chalked up a hit or two – notably the naughty “Accouplé”. We worked together more recently on a track for his album “Made in Liège”.
- Sounds Unique Kevin Osborne is a British writer, producer and remixer (check his mash-ups) with whom I’ve done some writing.
- CB Milton/Clarence Milton Bekker. We had a few hits with him in the 90s, notably “It’s a Loving Thing”, and he later went on to great things later with the “Playing fro Change” project.
Download and share music
- eMusic. 1 million tracks (25 free on sign-up) and very good recommendations. Lots of good indie music.
- 7Digital. Great UK site that offers fast downloads of recent material in MP3, i-Pod or WM formats. Recommended.
Writer and lyricist stuff
- A-Lyric Goodies. Fancy a US stamp with rappers? Or funky lyricist messenger bags? Start here for gifts and other items.
- Band-it Newsletter. Monthly tipsheet with leads to labels and managers looking for bands and songs. Enter code “59” to receive 5 free issues.
- MusicRoom. The UK’s foremost site for music books and assorted goodies. Ships free to Europe for larger orders.
- Music Library Report. Composers and songwriters rate their experiences with music libraries.
Help with your genre
- African Rap. News site that lives up to its name, with news and biogs for a number of bands plus international tour dates.
- MetroLyrics. The foremost licensed lyric source.
- BBC Guide. The BBC seems to have discontinued their page on songwriting and publishing. Here’s a section on getting started in the biz.
- Wobbly Music. Services for mature artists & music lovers. “We record older artists & unite them with mature listeners”.
- Cannes or Bust! Midem, MIPCOM, MIPTV and the Cannes Film Festival: inside news and tips about the music and film worlds from Cannes.
- Music X-Ray. A site that lists openings for bands and songs. It’s bona-fide. You pay to pitch and get feedback.